International Students and Lawyers

International Students and Lawyers

Practising Law In Australia and New Zealand

We help students and lawyers from around the world realise their ambition to practise law in Australia or New Zealand. 

The requirements for admission to practise law in Australia vary according to:

  • where you obtained your law degree
  • whether you have already been admitted to practise
  • where you are living.

The lecturer was very helpful and gave useful advice on how to conduct practice in law. He has definitely assisted me in gaining confidence in my first year of practice.

Recent graduate

Practical Legal Training On-Campus Course

If You are studying in Australia...

...on a student visa arranged through the College:  

You must undertake the CRICOS approved course, which is the full-time face-to-face course at our St Leonards campus in Sydney. (CRICOS course code 069734C)

The College of Law in Australia is registered to provide the Practical Legal Training (PLT) program to overseas students studying in Australia on a student visa.

if You Have An Australian law Degree

...and are living outside Australia:

You may undertake any of our online Practical Legal Training (PLT) programs.

However, our online courses still have onsite attendance requirements. It is up to you to ensure that travel documents allow you to study in Australia for these onsite sessions.

You can undertake onsite sessions in any of the following locations:

  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane (and some regional Queensland locations)
  • Canberra
  • Adelaide
  • Perth
  • London (international students are not required to pay additional onsite charges in London)

If You Have a law degree from outside australia...

…but you are not yet practising:

You need to check your requirements with the relevant admitting authority before completing your PLT.   

…and you have already been admitted to practise law outside Australia:

You may need to undertake a PLT part program to gain admission in Australia. We offer PLT part programs in NSW, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

Please check with the relevant admitting authority to determine which subjects you’ll need to undertake.


 Part Programs


For PLT in New Zealand, The College of Law New Zealand offers the Professional Legal Studies Course for admission in New Zealand. Alternatively, you can undertake our Australian PLT program and pay the local fee rather than the international student fee. Please check your requirements with the relevant admitting authority before undertaking your PLT in Australia. If you are already admitted in New Zealand and wish to seek admission in Australia, you can do so under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Scheme. Please contact the admitting authority in your intended jurisdiction to learn more.

PLT Part Programs

The College of Law offers Part PLT Programs, for those lawyers who are required by the admitting authorities in NSW, Queensland, Victoria or Western Australia, to complete some subjects of the PLT program but who have been granted exemption from other subjects of practical legal training requirements for admission in those states.

Please check with the relevant Admitting Authority before enrolling, to determine which subjects you will need to complete.

Learn more

Work Experience

Changes to the Rules from July 2017

Future international students need to be aware of important changes to the PLT Work Experience Rules from 1 July 2017. The changes require that at least 15 days of the Work Experience Component be done in Australia, currently with or after the Coursework Component. 

This should pose no problem for students in Australia on student visas arranged via The College of Law. Students on visas not arranged by the College need to be aware of the new Rule and how it may affect them before enrolling in PLT. 

Student Visas 

Before enrolling in PLT, you should check with Student Services on what kind of visa can be arranged for you through The College of Law. An 11 month visa is available to students completing all Components of the PLT program in Australia. A 20 week visa is also available to students who only need to undertake Work Experience in Australia. To be eligible for the 20 week visa, you must be already enrolled in the Coursework Component. 

For both visas issued via the College, if you complete your course requirements substantially earlier that the date advised on your vista, the College is obliged to report that fact to the government who may then shorten the length of your visa. 

 If you are in Australia on a tourist visa, you cannot undertake paid employment but may still undertake an unpaid internship that can count towards your Work Experience requirement. 

studying PLT on a student visa

What you need to know when studying on a student visa at the College:


Our PLT Plus program is accredited as a Higher Education course and graduates are entitled to receive the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice.


Study modes

Overseas students who seek a student visa for the sole purpose of completing our program can only do the CRICOS approved course (069734C), which is on-campus full time.

Overseas students studying within their own countries may undertake the PLT online.


Campus life

The College of Law is situated in St Leonards which is 15 minutes from the Sydney CBD.

St Leonards is a medium density housing and business area with access to all facilities including shops, restaurants, schools, hospitals and a railway station.  

Although the cost of living in Sydney may be higher than other Australian cities, the cost of living in Australia is generally less than other OECD countries.

The College building contains numerous small group classrooms, computer rooms, plus mock courtrooms, a law library and a large lecture theatre.


School age dependents

If you have any accompanying school age dependents enrolling in a (government or non-government) school in Australia, you must pay full fees at that institution for the duration of the enrolment.


Course fees

Your course fee covers all course related materials including The College of Law Practice Papers and access to our online learning portal Canvas.


English language proficiency

You must be proficient in written and spoken English to undertake The College of Law PLT Plus program.

If you obtained your undergraduate legal qualification in a country where English is not the primary spoken language, you will need to supply a certificate that demonstrates your English proficiency in accordance with the IELTS standard at level 8.0 (writing), 7.5 (speaking) and 7.0 (reading).

Learn more about English proficiency requirements.

International students and lawyers
International students and lawyers
International students and lawyers

PLT Overseas student policies


Please refer to our refund policy in the Program Manual (PDF).

Our refund policy does not remove the right to take further action under Australia’s consumer protection laws. In the event of default by the College, the Education Services for Overseas Students Act require that any student be paid within two weeks of default.

Dispute resolutions

Please refer to our dispute resolution policy in the Program Manual (PDF).

If our dispute resolution processes do not solve your problem, you may request that the matter be determined by an independent mediator. Our processes do not prevent you from pursuing other legal remedies.


The College provides and arranges counselling services where necessary. If you requiring counselling, please consult:

  • Your lecturers in the case of academic problems
  • The Student Liaison Officer (located on Level 2) for any other problems


Any information you provide the College may be made available to Commonwealth and State agencies and the Fund Manager of the ESOS Fund (pursuant to the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 and the National Code).

The College is required to tell the relevant government departments of changes to enrolment or any breach of visa conditions relating to attendance or satisfactory academic performance.

student services and student LIAISON officer

Our Student Services staff (located on Level 1 at St Leonards) can help with any problems you encounter.