You can review and update your cookie setting by clicking "Manage cookies preferences". For more information about the cookies we use, please read our
Cookies and Electronic Marketing Policy.
About the Notarial Practice Course
The College of Law in conjunction with our teaching partners, the Society of Notaries of New South Wales, is authorised to conduct training for barristers or solicitors of not fewer than five (5) years standing, who wish to apply for appointment as a Public Notary under the Public Notaries Act 1997 (NSW). Successful completion of this course will enable you to apply to the Legal Profession Admissions Board (LPAB) for appointment by the Supreme Court of NSW as a Public Notary. This course is currently the only notarial practice course in New South Wales that is approved by the NSW Legal Profession Admission Board. For more information about the role of a Notary Public and eligibility to be appointed as one, please refer to the Legal Profession Admission Board’s Guide and to the Society of Notaries of NSW website.
The Notarial Practice Training Course is scheduled to run again in May and September 2024. All scheduled intakes are currently full. Interest in this course is very high and places are limited. If you would like to be added to the waiting list for future intakes, please register your interest sending an enquiry to email@example.com
- Before enrolling in this course, please read the Legal Profession Admission Board’s ‘Guide for Applicants for Appointment as a Public Notary,’ which is available here.
- If you are in any doubt as to your eligibility to be appointed as a Notary, you should contact the LPAB prior to enrolment.
- For further information regarding the work of a Notary and recommended fees for performing notarial work, please refer to the Society of Notaries website here.
- Section 11 of the Public Notaries Act 1997 (NSW) restricts public notaries who are not part of a law practice (for example, in-house counsel) from performing notarial work for their employer or a client of their employer.
- The Notarial Practice Training Course is a challenging course of study. You should not enrol unless you can devote ample time to attend the training, review the materials and complete the assessment. In past intakes, not all participants have achieved the required standard in the assessment.
CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR NOTARIES
If you are a Notary Public and you are interested in getting up to date with the latest developments in best practice, please register your interest in attending our notarial practice education events by sending an enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org and keep an eye on our upcoming courses for scheduled dates.
- Mr Norbert Schweizer OAM, President, The Society of Notaries NSW
- Mr Colin Dunston, Secretary and Treasurer, The Society of Notaries NSW
- Mr Justin Betar, Council member and past President, The Society of Notaries of NSW
- Mr Peter Snelgrove, Council member and past President, The Society of Notaries NSW