We use cookies to compile information about how our website is used and to improve the experience of our website visitors. You can review and update your cookie setting by clicking "Manage cookies preferences". For more information about the cookies we use, please read our
Cookies and Electronic Marketing Policy.

Customer service experience: Your secret weapon | Article

Kelly Caulk

Kelly has nearly 15 years’ experience in legal education and is currently the NSW Development and Engagement Manager at the College of Law. She connects with the profession and supports law students through the journey of University to admission and into their careers.

I recently had coffee with Leisha de Aboitz, Partner at Massons. She said one key trait that makes a grad a great fit at her firm – that they might not highlight on their 
CV – is customer service experience.

The best training ground? Macca’s.

Her remarks got me thinking about how you can highlight your service experience to stand out and land a legal role.

Have customer service experience? Let employers know!

The legal industry is a customer service industry at its core.

So if you’ve worked in retail, hospitality or other customer-facing roles, you already possess several in-demand skills.

Plus, if you were working while studying, you’re also armed with time management skills.

All employers really want to know is whether you’ll add value to their team. So champion your service industry experience skills in interviews and on your resume. But how, exactly?

Showcase your transferable skills

My first job was at an Italian restaurant in Texas.

Often, I’d be serving customers with challenging personalities. Or I’d need to manage thousands of dollars in turnover. Or I’d oversee multiple tables while liaising between the bar and kitchen. All while keeping a smile on my face because, tips. It could be a lot.

Yet the skills I developed proved to be immensely valuable when I interviewed after uni.

But take note: don’t just rattle off a list of buzzwords when applying for a role. Instead, describe your experiences. Share stories. And quantify your responsibilities and results.

When you respond to interview questions, try to follow the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action and Result) as you highlight your skills. You’ll help employers to visualise how your capabilities will translate and benefit their organisation.

When it comes to your resume, here’s how you might support your transferable skills with real-world examples:
  • Problem solving: Menu items could sell out during a shift. So if they became unavailable, I offered customers a similar alternative at the same price or offered to modify another dish for the result they wanted.

• Customer service: I took time to greet customers, see what they needed and returned to check in throughout the evening.

• Time management: Each shift I managed multiple tasks, like overseeing waitlists, serving tables, placing drink orders and finalising bills.

• Dealing with difficult people: I treated each customer with compassion and kindness. Because you never knew what day someone else has had.

• Teamwork: I often checked in with my colleagues to see how they were doing and offered to help resolve tasks together.
Final thoughts

Employers want to hear about your legal experience – of course they do.

But that’s not all they’re looking for. So on your resume, outline your legal experience first. And then include any customer service experience under a separate header (i.e. Retail or Hospitality Experience).

Remember to always support your skills with concrete examples and positive results.

So highlight your customer service experience. It could be your secret weapon.