2019 NSW Medical Legal Conference
Course ID CN190903_LIT1
Tailored to the needs of lawyers working with medical evidence, expert reports and personal injury / negligence cases, the 2019 Medical Legal Conference offers an exceptional line up of leading medical experts who specialise in preparing medico-legal reports and disputes involving medical evidence.
Whether you are a veteran lawyer or new to the field, this conference will offer you the insights, expertise and medical knowledge of some of Australia’s leading medical practitioners in a diverse range of fields.
Hear directly from the experts to refine your knowledge and deliver the very best outcomes for your clients.
Attendees will come away from this Conference with:
6 CLE/CPD points.
- Updated knowledge that will enhance your skills in this fundamental aspect of personal injury and medical negligence law.
Networking opportunities with leaders in the field.
Full Price $720
Alumni/Member Price $648
06 September 2019
06 September 2019
9.15am - 5.00pm
Level 16, St James Centre
111 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000
About This Course
9.00am: Registration9.15am: Chair’s welcome: Health advice by fraudulent practitioners and unrecognised persons Chair: Mr Bill Madden, Special Counsel, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
Co-chair: Ms Justine Anderson, Solicitor, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
10.15am: Morning Tea10.30am: Two Sides of a Plastic Coin - When the quest for beauty turns ugly: A case review Speaker: Dr Malcolm Linsell, Plastic Surgeon
11.30am: The Responsibility of Professionalism Speaker: Dr Philip Truskett, General Surgeon
12.30pm: Lunch1.30pm: VOMIT in Foot & Ankle Surgery and its Prospective for Litigation: Surgeon’s Gift to the Lawyers Speaker: Dr Aneel Nihal, Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Surgeon
2.30pm: Measure Twice and Cut Once - Mistakes Made in Orthopaedic Lower Limb Surgery Speaker: Dr Jonathan Negus, Orthopaedic Surgeon
3.30pm: Afternoon Tea3.45pm: Anaesthetic Disasters – Between the Rock and a Hard Place Speaker: Dr Anthony Padley, Anaesthetist
4.45pm – 5.00pm: Q&A and Close
Solicitors and barristers of all levels, personal injury and medical negligence specialists and medical experts.
This course complies with the mandatory requirement of professional skills and substantive law.
With over 30 years of extensive litigation experience, Bill Madden is one of Australia’s most qualified medical negligence lawyers. He is recognised by the NSW Law Society as an accredited specialist in personal injury law. He is also accredited as a mediator under the National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS) and is a member of the Law Society Mediator’s Panel. Highly regarded by his peers, Bill’s areas of speciality include claims for birth trauma including cerebral palsy, stroke, brain injury and haemorrhage, delayed cancer diagnosis and wrongful birth.
Key Professional Achievements
- Bill holds a Bachelor of Law (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts from Macquarie University.
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1981 and became a NSW Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law in 1993
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law.
- Public Notary and fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries.
- Bill is the co-author of three books: The National Disability Scheme Handbook, Australian Medical Liability 3rd Editionand Health Care & the Law 6th edition.
- Editorial board member for Australian Civil Liability and Australian Health Law Bulletin, Lexis Nexis Butterworths. He is also a member of the international editorial board of the QUT Law Review.
- Adjunct Professor with the Australian Centre for Health Law Research, Queensland University of Technology and a senior fellow with the Melbourne Law Masters program at the University of Melbourne. Bill is also an adjunct fellow with the School of Law and of the School of Medicine at Western Sydney University and has recently been appointed as an adjunct fellow with the School of Medicine at that same university.
- Bill is listed in the Doyle’s Guide to the Australian legal Profession as a leading Plaintiff Medical Negligence Lawyer.
Justine Anderson Solicitor, Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers
Justine is a member of Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers compensation law group who works with Bill Madden in a specialised medical negligence team. Justine has advised clients on legal services and redress available to medical negligence claims, emergency services employees, on workers compensation claims, motor-vehicle accident injuries, and general personal injury matters.
Prior to joining Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers Justine worked in a number of hospitals and laboratories, providing her with a unique set of problem solving skills when approaching medical and legal matters.
Justine is a member of the Women Lawyers Association of New South Wales Executive Committee and supports the advancement and equality of women in law. She has a particular interest in personal injury compensation claims arising from medical advice and treatment.
Key Professional Achievements
- Justine joined Carroll & O’Dea Lawyers as a law clerk in May 2016 and was admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales in September 2016.
- Justine holds a Bachelor of Music from the Australian Institute of Music and graduated from the University of Technology in 2015 attaining her Juris Doctor.
- Justine represented UTS in the Australian Administrative Tribunal’s intervarsity Mooting as a semi-finalist in 2015.
- Prior to turning her mind to law Justine worked as a music teacher, lab technician and in the operating theatres of North Shore Private Hospital.
- Justine is a member of the Executive Committee of the Women Lawyers Association of NSW
Dr Phillip Truskett General Surgeon
Phil Truskett is a General Surgeon with an interest in Upper GI and HPB Surgery at the Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, where he is a senior staff specialist.
He has taken an active role in both the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and General Surgeons Australia. He is a past President of General Surgeons Australia. As a College councillor he has served on many College committees. He was the Chair of the Board of Surgical Education and Training and then served as Censor in Chief. He is the immediate past President of the Royal Austrlasian College of Surgeons. He is the current Chair of the Council of Presidents of Medical Colleges (CPMC).
His major interest is in the provision of Emergency Surgery to our community in our current challenging environment. As a result, he has been involved in the design and assessment of models of care to provide consultant-led timely care. These models of care are now being adopted in Australia and New Zealand.
He is a strong advocate for sustainable surgical service and professionalism. “It is the provision of patient-centred care in a safe, clinical environment is the benchmark by which we are all judged as professionals and how we should judge one another. It is education in the non-technical skills of surgery which will strengthen our place in the community.” This education is a current focus.
He is a proud patron of the Australian Indigenous Doctors Association and a committed advocate for equity of access for indigenous Australians to medical schools and specialty training.
Dr Aneel Nihal Orthodpaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon
Dr Nihal is Fellowship trained Orthopaedic Specialist Foot & Ankle Surgeon and has both UK and Australian Fellowships in Orthopaedic Surgery FRCS & FRACS. Dr Nihal has been Consultant Specialist Orthopaedic Specialist Foot & Ankle Surgeon for the last 20 years, both in the UK and in Australia.
Dr Nihal completed orthopaedic registrar training on the St George’s Hospital London and then on the St James Hospital Leeds, Yorkshire training program. Dr Nihal also completed Foot & Ankle surgery clinical Fellowship at the NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases, Manhattan, New York, USA in 1999-2000. He was awarded a title of “Specialist Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon” in the year 2000 after obtaining Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training from the STA in England.
- Associate Professor, academic title at the School of Medicine, Griffith University, Gold Coast 2012-2014.
- Appointed by the Medicare Australia as a member on the MBS Task Force Committee to review MBS item numbers for Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery. (2016).
- Appointed by the Dept of Health Australia to be a member on the committee - Specialist Orthopaedic Clinical Advisory Group (SOCAG) of Prostheses List Advisory Committee. (2018)
- Appointed as a member of Medical Assessment Tribunal (Q-Comp) by the Queensland Government, the Minister of Industrial Relation in his order dated 10th July 2016 till 30th June 2019.
- Appointed as a senior faculty instructor on the ASSET (The Australian & New Zealand Surgical Skill Educational & Training) course conducted by The Royal Australasian College of Surgeon, Australia. 2011-2019.
Dr Nihal was a co-convener and taught on the advanced course in foot & ankle surgery - Masterclass Foot & Ankle Surgery in Leeds - UK in the year 2007 & 2008 organized by The Royal College of Surgeons England, London.
Due to Dr Nihal’s super-specialization in complex revision re-do salvage and missed injuries in the foot & ankle radiology, he has been invited to speak as a guest speaker at various local regional state national and at international meetings, courses and conferences.
Dr Nihal has published various research and clinical case reports articles in orthopaedic foot & ankle journals as well as has written chapters in orthopaedic books.
Dr Malcolm Linsell Plastic Surgeon
Highly skilled Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, with extensive expertise developed over 28 years in both solo and group practices.
- MBBS Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery 1979 (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)
- FRACS (Plastic Surgery) Fellow Royal Australian College of Surgeons 1991 (Melbourne, Australia)
- MS Masters of Surgery 1995 (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)
- BSc Bachelor of Science 1975 (Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- President of Victorian Division of Australian Society Plastic Surgeons (1999-2002)
- Management of a severely burned boy from Papua New Guinea. First treated in 1993, and returned for surgery annually. Final surgery 2014 and featured on Television Show "60 Minutes" in May, 2015.
- Appearance on the Television show "Good Medicine" in February 1998. Representing Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons to demonstrate the technique of Suction-Assisted Abdominoplasty.
- Appearance on the Television show "Good Medicine" in 1999, demonstrating technique of Prominent Ear correction.
- Two appearances on the Television show "Today Tonight" in 2003, discussing the merits of a 'permanent Collagen' treatment and emphasising the need for a healthy diet and quality nutritional supplements.
- Consulting Plastic Surgeon the St. Kilda Football Club in the AFL (1991-2004)
Dr Jonathan Negus Orthopaedic Hip and Knee Surgeon
A Cambridge graduate with a consistent record of high achievement in both academic and non-academic areas. Dr Negus have held a number of positions of responsibility, which have developed his inter-personal, team-working, leadership, organisational and communications skills.
He received his PhD from the University of Sydney for which he was awarded the ‘Foundation for Surgery Scholarship’ from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the $10,000 award from the AOA Registrars Association for the best Registrar research in 2013.
He is fellowship trained in all aspects of hip and knee surgery including sports, arthroplasty and robotic surgery. He has a specialist interest in lower limb reconstruction, sports surgery and rehabilitation.
Dr Anthony Padley Anaesthetist
Dr Padley is a Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.
Current Posts and Dates Commenced:
- Senior Staff Specialist Anaesthetist, Westmead Hospital, commenced 20/07/1998.
- VMO Anaesthetist Westmead Private Hospital, commenced 30/06/2000
- VMO Anaesthetist The Hills Private Hospital, Now Norwest Private Hospital commenced 22/05/2000
- VMO Anaesthetist Castle Hill Day Surgery, commenced 01/01/2001
- VMO Anaesthetist Citywest Day Surgery, commenced 01/01/2002
- VMO Northside and Northside West Clinic, commenced 01/06/2007
- VMO Anaesthetist Macquarie University Hospital- commenced in January 2012.
Dr Padley’s main professional interests are all aspects of obstetric anaesthesia, CPR physiology and management, and on-going development of the book: “Westmead Anaesthetic Manual” published by McGraw-Hill and for which he is the sole author. Dr Padley also has a special interest in difficult airway management and the use of video/optical laryngoscopes. He is an avid teacher of medical staff and nurses on cardiac arrest pathophysiology and management.
Filming and Photography
Please be aware that video/audio recording may occur at professional development events organised by the College of Law for use on our website, marketing materials and publications. By attending and participating in a College of Law Continuing Professional Development course, you consent to the College of Law photographing or recording and using your image and likeness.