Practical Legal Training program: Part-time - Online - ACT
Course ID NP2001P_C
The College of Law’s Practical Legal Training is the leading program in Australia for law graduates preparing for admission to practice.
This option involves an initial 5 days of attendance followed by 29 weeks of online interactive learning, with the support of a dedicated lecturer.
Completion of this program leads to the award of the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (GDLP).
Domestic Students $9,640
International Students $13,910
13 November 2019
03 January 2020
18 November 2019
19 June 2020
The University of Canberra
About This Course
The College of Law's Practical Legal Training Program leading to the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice is the most popular way to prepare for admission to practice for Australian law graduates.
Why do so many graduates choose this program?
• You’ll be more ‘practice-ready’
• You’ll study how and when you want
• You’ll be more attractive to employers
• You’ll get more support and guidance
• You’ll enjoy benefits to last a lifetime.
The Practical Legal Training program is undertaken in three components -
- Work Experience
- Continuing Professional Education
This option is the part-time online option.
Students undertaking this option will need to devote at least 15 -20 hours per week during the coursework component of the program.
This option suits students who are working/have other commitments and are looking to balance study at the same time.
You will only be required on campus for the first five days of the program. If you have completed any of the subjects on our approved list you will not need to attend the Friday.
The remainder of your coursework, including assessments, will be delivered online.
To enrol in this program you will need to:
- Be a graduate in law or have qualified to graduate in law (completed your final exam), and
- Your law qualification is Australian or equivalent, and
- Be able to provide proof of completion of your law degree by the Practical Legal Training course census date (unofficial transcript or completion letter is sufficient)
Except in special and limited circumstance, you cannot start your Practical Legal Training in the Australian Capital Territory until you have completed your law degree.
Please contact the Legal Profession Admission Board on (02) 6207 1219 for further information on the application of the early start criteria.
How To Apply
You can apply via our online application form that will take less than 15 minutes to complete. Simply press the Enrol Online button above.
To make an application online, please note you will need the following documentation ready to upload:
- A copy of your Academic Transcript
- A passport-sized current colour photo (does not need to be an official passport photo)
- If you are not an Australian citizen, evidence of your status
You will also need to have the following at hand:
- CHESSN (Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number) if you have one
- Your student number relating to your law degree / Diploma of Law / JD or equivalent.
- Your Tax File Number if paying via FEE-Help (student loan)
After completing the online application you will receive a confirmation email of your application – your enrolment is not complete at this stage.
We will email you once your application has been processed and your enrolment confirmed. This email will contain information about orientation, the onsite week and the learning portal.
If you would like to undertake the Clinical Experience Module (CEM) as part of the Short Format Option, you will be asked to indicate your interest when completing the application form. We will contact you during the coursework component of the program to confirm your intention to enrol in the CEM.