Practical Legal Training program: Part-time - Blended - NT
Course ID TP2102P_1
The College of Law’s Practical Legal Training is the leading program in Australia for law graduates preparing for admission to practice.
This option involves an initial 5 days of on-campus workshops held on campus at Charles Darwin University followed by 29 weeks of online learning, with the support of a dedicated lecturer.
Completion of this program leads to the award of the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (GDLP).
Domestic Students $9,640
International Students $13,910
05 July 2020
24 August 2021
12 July 2021
11 February 2022
Charles Darwin University
School of Law
Ellengowan Drive, Brinkin, NT
The College of Law's Practical Legal Training Program leading to the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice is the most popular way to prepare for admission to practice for Australian law graduates.
Why do so many graduates choose this program?
• You’ll be more ‘practice-ready’
• You’ll study how and when you want
• You’ll be more attractive to employers
• You’ll get more support and guidance
• You’ll enjoy benefits to last a lifetime.
The Practical Legal Training program is undertaken in three components -
- Work Experience
- Continuing Professional Education
This option is the part-time online option.
Students undertaking this option will need to devote at least 15 -20 hours per week during the coursework component of the program.
This option suits students who are working/have other commitments and are looking to balance study at the same time.
You will be required on campus for the first five days of the program.
The remainder of your coursework, including assessments, will be delivered online
If you have completed any of the subjects on our approved list you will not need to attend the Negotiation and Dispute Resolution online workshop.
To enrol in this program you will need to:
- Be a graduate in law or have qualified to graduate in law (completed your final exam), and
- Your law qualification is Australian or equivalent
In Northern Territory, it may be possible to start earlier if you have completed all Priestley 11 core subjects of your law degree and have no more than two electives remaining in your law degree, double degree or equivalent qualification.
If you would like to start your Practical Legal Training early, you will need to seek approval from the The Law Society Northern Territoy. Please contact The Law Society Northern Territory on 08 8981 5104 for further information.
How to Apply
You can apply via our online application form that will take less than 15 minutes to complete. Simply press the Apply Online button above.
To make an application online, please note you will need the following documentation ready to upload:
- A copy of your Academic Transcript
- A passport-sized current colour photo (does not need to be an official passport photo)
- If you are not an Australian citizen, evidence of your status
You will also need to have the following at hand:
CHESSN (Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number) if you have one
- Your student number relating to your law degree / Diploma of Law / JD or equivalent.
- Your Tax File Number if paying via FEE-Help (student loan)
- After completing the online application you will receive a confirmation email of your application – your enrolment is not complete at this stage.
We will email you once your application has been processed and your enrolment confirmed. This email will contain information about orientation, the onsite week and the learning portal.
If you are planning to undertake the Clinical Experience Module (CEM) as part of the Short Format Option, you will be asked to indicate your interest when completing the application form. We will contact you during the coursework component of the program to confirm your intention to enrol in the CEM.