Practical Legal Training program: Full-time - Online - VIC
Course ID VP2001F_1
The College of Law’s Practical Legal Training is the leading program in Australia for law graduates preparing for admission to practice.
This option involves an initial 5 days of attendance followed by 14 weeks of online interactive learning, with the support of a dedicated lecturer.
Completion of this program leads to the award of the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (GDLP).
Won't have your exam results before the course starts? Don't worry!
See below for instructions on how to enrol without your exam results or call Student Services Team on 1300 856 111.
Domestic Students $9,640
International Students $13,910
20 November 2019
17 December 2019
25 November 2019
13 March 2020
The College of Law Victoria
Level 1, 555 Bourke St
Melbourne Vic 3000
About This Course
The College of Law's Practical Legal Training Program leading to the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice is the most popular way to prepare for admission to practice for Australian law graduates.
Why do so many graduates choose this program?
• You’ll be more ‘practice-ready’
• You’ll study how and when you want
• You’ll be more attractive to employers
• You’ll get more support and guidance
• You’ll enjoy benefits to last a lifetime.
The Practical Legal Training program is undertaken in three components -
- Work Experience
- Continuing Professional Education
This option is the full-time online option.
Students undertaking this option will need to devote 30 – 35 hours per week during the coursework component of the program. This option suits students who are looking for the quickest path to admission.
We recommend that students working full-time do not undertake the full-time option.
You will only be required on campus for the first five days of the program. If you have completed any of the subjects on our approved list you will not need to attend the Negotiation and Dispute Resolution workshop.
The remainder of your coursework, including assessments, will be delivered online.
Enrol without your exam results
VLAB can grant students permission to start their Practical Legal Training in November and December without receiving their exam results.
To gain permission, please send an email to VLAB containing the following information:
- Attach your partial transcript or share your digital transcript link
- Attach a letter from your university stating that your exam results are pending and the names of the subjects for which you are waiting the results, and
- Request approval to enrol in the November (VP2001F) or December (VP2001P) programs.
Please contact VLAB as soon as possible to finalise your enrolment in the above courses.
To enrol in this program you will need to:
- Be a graduate in law or have qualified to graduate in law (received your final results), and
- Your law qualification is Australian or equivalent
- Be able to provide proof of completion of your law degree (unofficial transcript or completion letter is sufficient)
In Victoria, it may be possible to start earlier if you have completed all Priestley 11 core subjects of your law degree and have no more than two electives remaining in your law degree, double degree or equivalent qualification.
If you would like to start your Practical Legal Training early, you will need to seek approval from the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB). Please contact the Victorian Legal Admissions Board on 03 9604 2451 for further information.
How to Apply
You can apply via our online application form that will take less than 15 minutes to complete. Simply press the Enrol Online button above.
To make an application online, please note you will need the following documentation ready to upload:
- A copy of your Academic Transcript
- A passport-sized current colour photo (does not need to be an official passport photo)
- If you are not an Australian citizen, evidence of your status
You will also need to have the following at hand:
- CHESSN (Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number) if you have one
- Your student number relating to your law degree / Diploma of Law / JD or equivalent.
- Your Tax File Number if paying via FEE-Help (student loan)
After completing the online application you will receive a confirmation email of your application – your enrolment is not complete at this stage.
We will email you once your application has been processed and your enrolment confirmed. This email will contain information about orientation, the onsite week and the learning portal.
If you are planning to undertake the Clinical Experience Module (CEM) as part of the Short Format Option, you will be asked to indicate your interest when completing the application form. We will contact you during the coursework component of the program to confirm your intention to enrol in the CEM.