Workshop on advising boards on corporate governance and risk
Course ID CN170321_BUS1
This workshop will equip lawyers with the essential skills they need to effectively advise on key corporate governance, compliance and risk management issues.
Hear from Chris Bland, a highly experienced lawyer in dealing with boards, board processes and risk management issues. Increase your confidence when dealing with corporate governance, compliance and risk management issues.
This very practical workshop offers useful guidance on key issues to consider when advising boards, including:
- How you can add value to the board
- An overview of directors’ duties and liabilities
- Advising companies in financial distress
- Effectively managing and minimising risk for the directors
- How to effectively prepare for board meetings and steer agenda items
- How to deal with difficult board questions and stick to your legal guns whilst keeping the board on side
College of Law Alumni and Law Society Members receive a 10% discount on the price.
Full Price $840.00
Alumni/Member Price $756.00
8.30am - 4.45pm
About This Course
This interactive and practical workshop covers the following topics:
(a) Understanding board processes & getting the basics right
This provides an overview of:
- How to properly convene board meetings, give notice and draft effective minutes which comply with the formalities
- An update on recent cases
(b) Preparing for board meetings & advising the board
Effectively preparing for board meetings and steering agenda items
- Giving advice to the board, looking at what type of advice is helpful and effective: interactive attendance vs written advice?
- How to pitch your advice at the right level of detail
- How to deal with difficult questions and stick to your legal guns whilst keeping the board on side
- War stories
(c) Advising on directors’ duties & liabilities
This provides an overview of:
- Directors’ key duties and liabilities under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)
- How to evaluate and manage legal risk whilst also enabling the board to carry on its business
- Navigating your client’s business towards practical but prudent outcomes
(d) Advising boards of companies in financial distress
- Insolvent trading issues under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)
- Shadow directorship issues
- Practical tips when advising boards of companies in financial distress
- Directors’ disclosure obligations and duties when making declarations of solvency
- War stories and recent case law
(e) Effectively managing & minimising risk for directors
This covers issues such as:
- Insurance (including D&O, Cyber Risks, Management and Statutory Liability) and indemnities
- Practical issues around placing cover and renewals
- The types of discussions directors should be having with their brokers
- Dealing with insurers after making a notification
The workshop will be practical and will include a mixture of written exercises, small group discussions, guest speakers and question and answer sessions with the facilitator.
This seminar complies with the mandatory areas of Professional Skills and Substantive Law.
Legal Tradecraft Consulting
Chris is an experienced in-house lawyer and management executive with over 28 years of legal and business experience as a property, projects and commercial transactions lawyer in the UK, Europe, Asia and Australia. He was at Transfield Holdings for 21 years, where he led Transfield’s in-house legal team as General Counsel between 2003-2013. During that time, he negotiated and implemented commercial, investment and development deals, projects and transactions involving Transfield Services Limited, Charter Hall Limited, ADI Limited, Sydney Harbour Tunnel, Perisher Blue Ski Fields, and Novatec Solar. Chris also led infrastructure project development transactions including the $650m Walsh Bay re-development project. He continues to undertake in house legal project development work as a legal consultant for the student accommodation business Campus Living Villages.