Advanced contract and document drafting
Course ID WA210309_PSK1
Take your drafting skills to the next level.
Are you looking to refine and build on your drafting skills to produce powerful, precise, direct and accurate legal documents?
Join us in our half-day live webinar and you will:
- Master different planning techniques to produce logical and well-structured documents
- Build on your skillset so you can tailor your communications in ways that are client-focused and unambiguous
- Fine-tune and test your abilities through practical drafting exercises
The speakers are:
- Emeritus Professor Peter Butt, University of Sydney
- Derek Wong, Barrister, Alinea Chambers
- Chris Bland, Principal, Tradecraft Legal Consulting
Reviews from past attendees:
- “very good seminar – I got what I came for”
- “Enjoyed the seminar. Found the handouts helpful”
- “Peter Butt was excellent, thank you”
- “Excellent content and delivery!”
- “It was great to have access to this in WA. The online format was engaging and helpful”
- “Great content and expert presenters”
- “I think it was a useful seminar to be conducted virtually. I find practical sessions like this very useful, so it wonderful to participate.”
At the end of this live webinar, you will earn (3.5) CPD points
The time listed for this course is Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (AEDT). Please take note of any time differences if you are registering from QLD, WA, SA, NT or from outside Australia.
Full Price $346.50
Alumni/Member Price $311.85
23 March 2021
23 March 2021
1.00pm AEDT - 5.00pm
About This Course
1.05pm: Contract drafting in plain English – what are the best techniques? Speaker: Professor Emeritus Peter Butt, University of Sydney
- The big picture: document planning and structure
- Tone and language choice
- Managing technical terms and terms of art
- Dealing with definitions, headings, provisos and recitals
- Some document techniques to try
- Avoiding ambiguity
- Questions and discussion
2.30pm: Stretch break
2.40pm: Interpretation of contracts Speaker: Derek Wong, Barrister, Alinea Chambers
- Rules of interpretation – a primer on the general rules
- Common issues and recurrent disputes
- Sources of guidance and research tips
- Recent developments
3.40pm: Short break and discussion
4.00pm: Drafting contracts Speaker: Chris Bland, Principal, Tradecraft Legal Consulting
- Purpose of the contract
- Parties, subject matter, consideration, promises and rights
- Conditions of performance, service level agreements
- Risk allocation and frustrations and conditions for ending the contract and termination
- Capturing the business relationship and terms of agreement in a document
This webinar is ideal for solicitors who want to improve their drafting skills.
This webinar is produced in NSW and features NSW based practitioners. This webinar is available to practitioners from all Australian jurisdictions.
Claiming CPD units
The program covers the mandatory requirement of Professional Skills.
- Founding Director, Centre for Plain Legal Language
- Books include:
- Modern Legal Drafting (3rd ed, CUP)
- Legal Usage: A modern style guide (LexisNexis, 2018)
- The Lawyer’s Style Guide: A student and practitioner guide (Hart, UK, 2020 – forthcoming)
- Australian Legal Dictionary (joint editor)
- Land Law
- Past President of Clarity (an international plain language association)
Derek Wong Barrister, Alinea Chambers
Derek is a barrister at the New South Wales Bar. Prior to being called to the Bar, he practised as a solicitor in the Dispute Resolution Group at Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons), as well as working as a tipstaff to the Honourable Justice R D Giles of the New South Wales Court of Appeal. Derek has extensive experience in a variety of different areas of commercial law, regulatory investigations and representative proceedings as a barrister and solicitor. He has acted for banks, multinational medical device and vehicle manufacturers, and private companies, as well as individuals. Derek holds a Bachelor of Laws from the University of New South Wales, and a Master of Law from the University of Cambridge, each with First Class Honours.
Chris Bland Principal, Tradecraft Legal Consulting
Chris is an experienced in-house lawyer and management executive with over 28 years of legal and business experience as a property, projects and commercial transactions lawyer in the UK, Europe, Asia and Australia. He was at Transfield Holdings for 21 years, where he led Transfield’s in-house legal team as General Counsel between 2003 and 2013. During that time, he negotiated and implemented commercial, investment and development deals, projects and transactions involving Transfield Services Limited, Charter Hall Limited, ADI Limited, Sydney Harbour Tunnel, Perisher Blue Ski Fields, and Novatec Solar. Chris also led infrastructure project development transactions including the $650m Walsh Bay redevelopment project. He continues to undertake in-house legal project development work as a legal consultant for the student accommodation business Campus Living Villages.
Filming and Photography
Please be aware that this webinar organised by the College of Law may be recorded for use on our websites, marketing materials and publications. By attending and participating in a College of Law Continuing Professional Development course, you consent to the College of Law photographing or recording and using your image and likeness and/or voice.