Accounting for lawyers
Course ID WA210306_PSK1
The essentials of accounting for lawyers
This highly popular course is an essential career building block that will equip you to undertake financial analysis of accounting records. You will develop or refresh your financial literacy to be able to read and interpret company and institutional accounts.
The facilitator, Professor Robert (Bob) Deutsch will explain the principles of accounting and take you through:
- The application of accounting principles in practice
- How to analyse the elements of the balance sheet and profit and loss accounts
- Learn the accounting ratios used to access financial results and gauge performance
- Gain forensic analysis tools to identify manipulation of accounts
- Increase your confidence and add greater value to financial matter discussions
Feedback from past attendees:
- “Robert’s presentation was clear, thoughtful and straight forward. Content was well aimed + not condescending or assuming exisiting knowledge. Brilliant.”
- “Very thorough, practical + knowledge. Good use of examples.”
- “It was very logically and clearly presented, making it easy to understand and to take good notes.”
- “Very satisfied as to the presenter’s clarity of expression, structuring of the information and depth of knowledge”
- “Excellent seminar. Complex concepts and relationships explained wonderfully clearly. Thank you! Will attend again.”
- “Bob was a great presenter. Clearly knowledgeable and spoke well. Content was easy to understand and relevant.”
At the end of this live webinar, you will earn 4 CPD points.
Scroll down for the full program
The time listed for this course is Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (AEDT). Please take note of any time differences if you are registering from QLD, WA, SA, NT or from outside Australia.
Full Price $396.00
Alumni/Member Price $356.40
03 March 2021
03 March 2021
12.30pm AEDT - 5.00pm
About This Course
12.35pm: Elements of a balance sheet
- True and fair value
1.35pm: Stretch break
1.40pm: Profit and loss accounts
- Types of profit
1) Gross operating
- Revenue items
- Expense items
2.40pm: Stretch break
2.45pm: Financial ratio analysis/financial covenants analysis
- Liquidity, insolvency
- Profitability ratios
- Lenders use of financial covenant ratios
3.45pm: Stretch break
3.50pm: Manipulation of accounts
- Spotting problems
- Earning manipulation
- Examination of expenses and liabilities
5.00pm: Q&A and Close
This live webinar is ideal for general practitioners, senior managers and leadership teams, in-house legal teams, corporate counsel, C-suite leadership teams, lawyers in government agencies, not-for-profit entities and private super fund and estate financial advisors.
This webinar is produced in NSW and features a NSW-based practitioner. The webinar is available to practitioners from all Australian jurisdictions.
Claiming CPD units
The program covers the mandatory requirement of professional skills and substantive law.
Bob has experience as a solicitor with a major national law firm, as a Barrister and as a director with a major accounting firm and as an Academic Author of Tax publications including “Accounting for Non Accountants” written with Kris Chickarovski
Filming and Photography
Please be aware that this webinar organised by the College of Law may be recorded for use on our websites, marketing materials and publications. By attending and participating in a College of Law Continuing Professional Development course, you consent to the College of Law photographing or recording and using your image and likeness and/or voice.