2017 Building and construction law update
Course ID CN170224_PRO1
The seminar will provide a comprehensive update on all current building and construction law issues. Begin 2017 knowing the latest developments in this area of law.
Prior to purchase please see the information below for system requirements.
College of Law Alumni and Law Society Members receive a 10% discount on the price.
Full Price $240.00
Alumni/Member Price $216.00
midday - 2pm AEDST
About This Course
Topics covered include:
- A Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW) (SOP Act) round up – a look at some of the key decisions coming out of New South Wales in 2016, including:
- Lewence Construction Pty Ltd v Southern Han Breakfast Point Pty Ltd  NSWCA 288 (appeal to the High Court heard October 2016)
- Probuild Constructions (Aust) Pty Ltd v Shade Systems Pty Ltd  NSWSC 770 (on appeal to the Court of Appeal of NSW)
- J Hutchinson Pty Ltd v Glavcom Pty Ltd  NSWSC 126
- Other key decisions including:
- Paciocco v Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited  HCA 28
- Chan v Acres  NSWSC 1885
- Capital Securities No. 1 Pty Ltd v Roger Saliba  NSWSC 1093
- Legislative updates coming into force in 2016, including:
- Unfair Contract Terms - Amendments to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth) and Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)
- Strata Law reforms
- Other significant events such as the amalgamation of councils within NSW, Australian Infrastructure Plan, NSW Fair Trading SOP Act discussion paper
This webinar complies with the mandatory area of Substantive Law.
Senior Associate, MinterEllison
Michelle is a senior associate in MinterEllison's Projects, Infrastructure and Construction team in Sydney and is dually qualified as a lawyer in New South Wales and England and Wales.
Michelle specialises in a number of forms of dispute resolution, such as mediation, adjudication, expert determination, international arbitration, and litigation and acting for clients at all levels of the supply chain, including principals, contractors and subcontractors.
Michelle has recently returned to Australia after working in London for one of the largest specialist construction and energy firms in the UK, acting for domestic and international clients on major construction and infrastructure projects within the oil and gas, rail, tunneling, water, road, commercial development, renewable energy and power sectors.
Michelle has expertise with a variety of contracting strategies, including construct only, design and construct, EPC, consultancy agreements, framework agreements, and bespoke contracts.
Carly is an associate in the Projects, Infrastructure and Construction group in MinterEllison's Sydney office with experience acting for government bodies, financial institutions, ASX-listed companies and educational institutions on major projects, commercial property developments, public-private partnerships and infrastructure and construction disputes. Carly is commercially driven and committed to achieving the best result for her clients. Carly's principal areas of practice are:
- dispute resolution;
- commercial and contractual advice; and
- contract drafting and administration.
Attending a College webinar is an easy and convenient way for you to increase your knowledge, learn from experts and gain CPD units. It is just like attending a seminar except you don’t leave your office or home.
Once you have registered, we will send you all the information you need to join the webinar. All you need is a computer and telephone. Just follow the link and instructions to join the webinar and dial into the teleconference.
During the webinar, the presenter will present on the topic, similar to in a seminar. You can ask questions by typing in the box provided. Each webinar has lots of time allocated to answering questions so there is plenty of opportunity to interact and engage.
All you need for a webinar is a computer/device and telephone. You logon to the webinar and listen through a teleconference. If you are in an open plan office, you may like to listen through earphones. There is no need to download any additional software. It is really as simple as following a link to join.