Scholarship Terms and Conditions – Australia
SCHOLARSHIPS TERMS & CONDITIONS
The College of Law (College) is committed to supporting the legal profession and helping practitioners to reposition their legal careers into new areas or by developing new skills to enhance those careers. As a direct response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the College has created a support package which includes the provision of scholarships to help legal industry professionals upskill.
1. THE SCHOLARSHIPS
1.1. The Applied Law Program Scholarship is a Graduate Certificate in Applied Law which consists of any 2 subjects in the College’s Applied Law program (ALP Scholarship)
1.2. The Legal Business Management Scholarship is:
- a Graduate Certificate in Legal Business which consists of any 4 subjects from the College’s Master of Legal Business program; OR
- a Graduate Certificate in Legal Operations which consists of 2 core subjects and 2 elective subjects from the College’s Master of Legal Business program (LBM Scholarship).
1.3. Scholarship recipients will also receive access to the Centre for Legal Innovation’s the extensive range of offerings and a complimentary membership to its Legalpreneurs Lab for the duration of the scholarship.
3. SCHOLARSHIP VALUE
3.1. The value of each ALP Scholarship is $6,900 being the cost of a College Graduate Certificate in Applied Law consisting of two subjects.
3.2. The value of each LBM Scholarship is $12,000 being the cost of a College Graduate Certificate in Legal Business or Graduate Certificate in Legal Operations consisting of four subjects.
4. NUMBER OFFERED
300 ALP Scholarships.
100 LBM Scholarships.
5. ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS
5.1. Applications are open to legal service industry professionals who:
- are Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents;
- meet the enrolment criteria for the ALP Scholarship or LBM Scholarship as set out in section 6; and
- meet the scholarship selection criteria set out in section 7 (Eligible Applicant).
6. ENROLMENT CRITERIA
6.1. An applicant must meet the enrolment criteria for the relevant scholarship program:
|ALP Scholarship||LBM Scholarship|
|Applicants must have an undergraduate law degree, or equivalent.
If previous studies were in a language other than English, the requisite IELTS standard is at level 8 (writing), 7 (listening), 7.5 (speaking), 7 (reading), and 7.5 overall.
Applicants must have:
6.2. An applicant must be able to commence study within the consecutive two intakes that start after the award of the scholarship.
7. SELECTION COMMITTEE
The selection committee will be chaired by the CEO and comprise at least two members with appropriate expertise to assess applicants (Selection Committee).
8. SELECTION CRITERIA
The Scholarship will be awarded to Eligible Applicants who in the opinion of the Selection Committee, demonstrates through their application and supporting documentation:
Negative Impact of COVID-19
Demonstrated negative impact of COVID19-related economic circumstances on work, role, career or practice constituting hardship broadly equivalent to a 30% impairment, expressed in either financial or non-financial measures.
Commitment to Career Development
Demonstrated commitment to re-forging career utilising education strategies to build career-relevant knowledge, skills and credentials.financial measures.
- Positive Benefit for Profession and Community
Demonstrated likelihood that the applicant’s enhanced career opportunities will have positive impact on people around the applicant in the profession and the community.
9. SCHOLARSHIP SPECIFIC CONDITIONS
9.1. The award of a scholarship is conditional upon the recipient formally enrolling into the relevant Graduate Certificate within the consecutive two intakes that start after the award of the scholarship.
9.2. The scholarships must be taken as offered and cannot be varied or redeemed for cash.
9.3. A recipient must be able to fully meet the enrolment requirements for the relevant scholarship and comply with the relevant program rules and the College’s rules and policies.
9.4. The maximum time for completion of an ALP Scholarship or LBM Scholarship is 12 months.
9.5. If a subject selected by a recipient is unavailable or the subject date is rescheduled, a recipient will be eligible to transfer to another nominated subject.
9.6. A recipient must achieve a pass grade in each subject undertaken. If the recipient fails any subject the College may, at its discretion, deny to the recipient any further funding under the scholarship.
9.7. If a recipient fails a subject, the scholarship will not cover tuition fees associated with enrolment in repeat or substitute subjects.
9.8. All ancillary costs associated with the scholarship including travel (if applicable) are the responsibility of the recipient.
10. APPLICATION DATES
Applications Open: Monday, 1 June 2020
Applications Close: Friday, 3 July 2020 at 5pm AEST
11. APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply for a scholarship an Eligible Applicant must complete an online application form and upload the following supporting documentation to demonstrate the selection criteria:
- a statement of no more than two A4 pages addressing each of the selection criteria outlined in section 8 above;
- evidence of 30% financial impairment such as a statutory declaration, letter from employer regarding employment status, Centrelink Income Statement or proof of income/support from family; and
- a brief curriculum vitae.
12. AWARD OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
- The scholarships will be awarded to Eligible Applicants on the recommendation of the Selection Committee. The awarding of a scholarship is at the sole discretion of the College.
- Successful applicants will be notified via email by Monday 13 July 2020.
- Following notification of award of the scholarship the successful application must formally enrol in the relevant program by the intake deadline.