GOV2 Privacy and Information Management
The subject aims to provide:
- an understanding of privacy and information management issues that arise in government legal professional practice.
- a practical awareness of the law of privacy, confidentiality, and freedom of information within the context of national (Commonwealth and state/territorial jurisdictions) and international contexts.
- a critical exploration of current and emergent issues in privacy and information law and practice, including media, social media, big data, open data, and cloud data management.
At the end of this subject you will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of fundamental legal concepts, laws, and practices concerning privacy, confidentiality, freedom of information, and emergent issues
- critically reflect on the practical application of learning to everyday practice in government legal professional practice contexts
- demonstrate the ability to explain fundamental legal concepts and practices concerning privacy, confidentiality, freedom of information, and emergent issues to specialised and non-specialised audiences
- use analysis, problem-solving, and decision-making to develop methods to resolve privacy and information management issues that arise in government sector practice contexts
- demonstrate advanced and specialised knowledge in the subject area through problem-solving and decision-making in realistic practice-based scenarios
- Introduction to privacy
- The legislative regime
- Guidelines & enforcement/sanction issues Confidentiality
- Freedom of Information/GIPA (NSW)
- Security of personal information, breaches and stakeholders Interjurisdictional considerations
Topics in this subject include:
- Statutes fundamentals
- Commencement and enforceability
- Impact of legislation
- Validity of statute
- Rules of statutory interpretation
How to enrol
1. Download and read the Program Manual (PDF).
This document contains all the terms and conditions relating to your enrolment at The College of Law.
2. Decide on your program and initial subject/s
3. Enrol online