FLP1 Foundations of Family Law Practice
This subject family law as it is concerned with people, rather than property or financial matters. It includes the law and practice concerning parenting after separation or divorce . It also examines the law and practice of divorce. The subject aims to provide you a strong foundation for practising in family law and covers most common issues encountered by family lawyers in practice. A more advanced subject deals with topics which are less common in law practice.
Topics in this subject include:
- parenting after separation
- shared parental responsibility
- the legislative pathway for decision making about children
- factors considered when determining the best interests of a child
- social science research on what may benefit or harm children in relation to parenting arrangements
- child abuse and family violence as they relate to parenting disputes
- relocation and recovery of children
- variation and enforcement of parenting orders
- ethical issues in children’s matters
- elements for proof in a divorce application
- limitation periods which may apply
How to enrol
If you are a new student
Apply via our online application form that will take less than 15 minutes to complete. Simply press the Enrol button below.
To make an application online, please note you will need the following documentation ready to upload:
- A copy of your Academic Transcript
- A passport-sized current colour photo (does not need to be an official passport photo)
- If you are not an Australian citizen, evidence of your status
You will also need to have the following at hand:
- CHESSN (Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number) if you have one
- Your student number relating to your law degree / Diploma of Law / JD or equivalent.
- Your Tax File Number if paying via FEE-Help (student loan)
After completing the online application you will receive a confirmation email of your application – your enrolment is not complete at this stage.
We will email you once your application has been processed and your enrolment confirmed. This email will contain information about orientation, the onsite week and the learning portal.
If you are a re-enrolling student
Complete the re-enrolment process online in the Career Portal.
You will need your student number and password to login.