FDRP4 Case Management in Family Dispute Resolution (Capstone)
This subject is designed to be the clinical subject to underpin the theory of the Graduate Diploma of Family Dispute Resolution Practice or Family Dispute Resolution Practice major within Master of Laws (Applied Law). By the end of this subject, you will have an understanding of family dispute resolution case management principles. By completing this subject, you will have the opportunity to manage family dispute resolution cases within simulated workplace experiences. You will take the carriage of four matters of various complexities that you will manage from intake, through to assessment, education and referral, culminating in conducting the mediation.
Successful completion of this subject will provide 30 hours out of 50 hours of clinical placement under the FDRP practicum requirements.
At the end of this subject you will be able to:
- understand and critically compare good operating practices in family dispute resolution matters
- use advanced analytical and problem-solving skills with respect to client instructions and objectives, the law, practice guidelines, procedures and processes in special family dispute resolution contexts
- integrate specialised writing, drafting, and communication skills to produce essential documents for family dispute resolution practice and procedure, and
- demonstrate advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to plan, manage, and conduct mediation in family dispute resolution contexts.
- Overview of family dispute resolution case management
- Intake process: complex matters
- Assessment for suitability
- Information and referral in mediation
- Preparation for mediation, and
- Conducting mediation.
How to enrol
If you are a new student
Apply via our online application form that will take less than 15 minutes to complete. Simply press the Enrol button below.
To make an application online, please note you will need the following documentation ready to upload:
- A copy of your Academic Transcript
- A passport-sized current colour photo (does not need to be an official passport photo)
- If you are not an Australian citizen, evidence of your status
You will also need to have the following at hand:
- CHESSN (Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number) if you have one
- Your student number relating to your law degree / Diploma of Law / JD or equivalent.
- Your Tax File Number if paying via FEE-Help (student loan)
After completing the online application you will receive a confirmation email of your application – your enrolment is not complete at this stage.
We will email you once your application has been processed and your enrolment confirmed. This email will contain information about orientation, the onsite week and the learning portal.
If you are a re-enrolling student
Complete the re-enrolment process online in the Career Portal.
You will need your student number and password to login.
"I first became an FDRP to complement my family law practice. I found it so rewarding that I transitioned out of legal practice to grow my own mediation practice. Being the impartial third party facilitating discussion, rather than acting for one side or another, is a very satisfying job."