Cultural competency: a vital skill for a 21st century lawyer
In an increasing diverse society, it is quickly becoming important for lawyers to be culturally competent.
You need to be able to interact effectively with people from cultures different from your own.
Join us for a Career Lab on Wednesday 31 July where a panel of four practitioners from diverse backgrounds will discuss:
- The importance of cultural awareness
- Key issues when acting for culturally and linguistically diverse clients
- Insights in cultural awareness in legal practice
Wednesday 31 July
5.30pm - 6.45pm
The College of Law
Ground Floor, Durack Centre
263 Adelaide Tce
Perth WA 6000
Shayla Strapps, CEO of Mental Health Law Centre, will begin the event with the importance of cultural awareness in legal practice and key issues when acting for cross-cultural clients.
Our panel of practitioners will then share their insights regarding cultural awareness in the practice of law:
- Julie Waud, Managing Solicitor at Aboriginal Legal Service of WA
- Charmaine Tsang, Partner at Lavan
- Simon Freitag SC, Barrister at Albert Wolff Chambers.