Innovation in Legal Practice Summit 2019
COL VIC, Melbourne on 9 August
30 plus faculty - 7 sessions – 10 Pop Ups – and, a whole lotta networking!
After two sold out events in Sydney in 2017 and 2018 – thank you so much - we are delighted to take the Summit on the road to Melbourne on 9 August 2019 (Friday).
This year, as in the past, we continue our tradition of providing a forum for open, constructive and creative discussion about how legal innovation, enabled by legaltech and artificial intelligence, is impacting all aspects of legal practice, with the focus being on how we can all adapt and benefit.
Also this year, consistent with our commitment to investing in the future of legal practice, we will launch our Young Legalpreneurs Scholarship (YLS) for COL PLT students and recent graduates with a passion for legal innovation from across Australia and New Zealand. The YLS scholars will have the opportunity to network with their mentors and you and contribute their thoughts about the legal industry they will inherit.
Our Summit-based network is growing every year and includes solicitors and barristers (in-house, government and private practice), legal aid and community legal centres, law firms and legal department business managers, bankers, academics, consultants, business analysts, software developers, operations managers, IT, knowledge management professionals, talent management and HR professionals, robotics designers, computer scientists and innovation specialists.
It’s an inclusive and generous group of people who are as willing to share experience as they are curious to learn. So, if you have an interest in having conversations with people who “walk-the-talk” every day, are not looking to “sell” you anything (we don’t have exhibitor booths) and just want to chat about the best, practical way to use legaltech/AI to create different and better legal services/products, then this event is for you!
Registration fees are:
- Standard: $430 including GST
- College of Law alumni, CLI Legalpreneurs Roundtable participants, ALPMA members, Law Society and Bar Association members: $387 including GST.
The Terms and Conditions applicable to your registration can be found here.
When you take a look at the program, you’ll see we have focused the sessions on hot topics but designed the sessions with practical applications and tools in mind. We don’t want to talk at you, we want to be sure you can put into practice what you learn immediately after the Summit ends. Here’s a quick overview of what we will be diving into at the Summit 2019:
- Does the Future of Legal Practice Lie in Cracking the Collaboration Code?
- Legal Design Thinking – You’ve heard the term but how do you actually use it in your practice? *Mapping the Client Journey – Taking the guess work out of client expectations!
- AI and the New, New Legal Marketplace: Risk Management, Compliance and RegTech?
- Creating Your Own Legal R & D Department/Incubator/Accelerator for Continuous Improvement
- Blockchain Update – A year in review!
- Implementing and Embedding a Culture of Change and Agility – Making “new” work in a “traditional” world
This year we have also introduced a new lunchtime series of pop ups. We’ve nominated the topics you told us matter to you, so if you want some help, head to the huddle where our specialists are hanging out to assist you:
- How to price legal services and not use one billable hour
- How to establish a legal talent management strategy for the future of work
- How to establish a successful diversity and inclusion initiative
- Everything you ever wanted to know about legal project management
- Legal freelancing – why it’s on the rise and how to make it work
- Everything you ever wanted to know about legal operations
- Everything you ever wanted to know about lawyerbots
- How to establish the role and what to do with a Chief Innovation Officer
- How to get started with tech projects in a small team and in small litigation cases
- How to choose the right AI for your firm
Please note the Summit sessions (excluding Q & A, group work and Pop Ups) will be videotaped, edited and made available to the public on our CLIC resource hub after the Summit ends. We hope these will be a useful resource for you. If you would like to sample some of our edited sessions from 2018, you will find them on CLIC here.
Here’s a quick peek at our amazing Summit 2019 faculty:
- Michael Bacina, Partner, Piper Alderman
- Ella Cannon, Senior Associate, Hive Legal
- John Chisholm, Managing Director, John Chisholm Consulting; Director, Innovim; CLI Distinguished Fellow
- Jan Christie, Learning & Development Manager, Gilbert + Tobin
- Neil Cook, Legal Operations Manager, Woolworths
- Genevieve Collins, Chief Executive Partner, Lander & Rogers Lawyers
- Tobias Crush, Co-Founder, Willbits
- Ann-Maree David, Executive Director, The College of Law Queensland & Chair, QLS Equity and Diversity Committee
- Peter Dombkins, Head of Legal Project Management, Gilbert + Tobin
- Denise Doyle, Legal Enablement Lead, Telstra
- Sarah El Atm, August Digital and Creative
- Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis, Co-Founder, Lacuna Legal Providers
- Amanda Fajerman, Head of Legal Technology, LOD Innovate
- Sam Flynn, Co-Founder, Josef
- Mitzi Gilligan, Founder and Principal, Hive Legal
- Michelle Grossmann, Head of Innovation & Transformation, Lander & Rogers Lawyers, iHub
- Alison Laird, Head of Innovation and Project Delivery Asia Pacific, Pinsent Masons and Chair, Chief Innovation Officers Forum Steering Group
- Nyk Loates, Director, U-Collaborate, KPMG Innovate and Chief Innovation Officers Forum Steering Group Member
- Melissa Lyon, Associate Principal, Hive Legal and CLI Distinguished Fellow
- Belinda Marschke, Co-Founder, Lacuna Legal Providers
- Marcus McCarthy, Principal, Nexus Law Group
- Warrick McLean, Chief Executive Officer, Coleman Greig Lawyers
- Fiona McLay, Principal Consultant, McLay Legal
- Terri Mottershead, Executive Director, Centre for Legal Innovation
- Michael Pattison, Founder, ContractProbe and Director, Australian Legal Technology Association (ALTA)
- Andrea Perry Petersen, Podcaster and Consultant
- Andrew Price, COO, Barry.Nilsson
- Caryn Sandler, Partner & Chief Knowledge and Innovation Officer, Gilbert + Tobin
- Mick Sheehy, Partner, New Law, PWC
- Rajesh Sreenivasan, Partner and Head Technology, Media & Telecommunications, Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP
- Steve Vallas, Founder, Blockchain APAC
- Allison Warburton, Co-Founder, Lacuna Legal Providers
- Paul Wenck, Co-Founder, Checkbox
- Carl White, Chief Experience Officer and Director, CXINLaw; CLI Distinguished Fellow
- Evan Wong, Co-Founder, Checkbox
- Peter Xing, Senior Technology & Innovation Manager – Deals, Tax & Legal, KPMG
- Bonnie Yiu, Co-founder, Consulere.io
We would also like to again acknowledge the generous contribution of our Summit 2019 Program Development Group who advised us and helped shape our program:
- Eric Chin, Principal, Alpha Creates
- Melissa Lyon, Associate Principal, Hive Legal
- Terri Mottershead, Executive Director, CLI
- Michael Pattison, Founder, ContractProbe and Director, ALTA – Australian Legal Technology Association
- Caryn Sandler, Partner + Chief Knowledge and Innovation Officer, Gilbert + Tobin
- Demetrio Zema, Director & Problem Solver, Law Squared
If we can assist with additional information about the Summit, please contact us between 9am-5pm: CLI@collaw.edu.au or Brisbane (07) 3234 4541. And, don’t forget to also follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.