What is FEE-HELP?

In Australia the Commonwealth Government provides loans to eligible full fee paying students to assist to pay for tuition fees.

The College is an approved Higher Education Provider (HEP) under the Higher Education Support Act 2003. Therefore, if you meet the Commonwealth’s FEE-HELP eligibility criteria, then you are entitled to apply for a FEE-HELP Loan to pay the tuition fees of any of our postgraduate programs including Practical Legal Training Programs and Postgraduate Applied Law Programs.

The way that the scheme works is that the Commonwealth Government will pay the amount of the loan to the College on your behalf. Then you will repay the loan to the Commonwealth Government either voluntarily or through the taxation system.

You can find comprehensive information about the FEE-HELP Loan Scheme at the Study Assist website: link to http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/fee-help/pages/fee-help

How do I apply for a FEE-HELP Loan?

To apply for a FEE-HELP Loan to pay the tuition fees for one of our postgraduate programs, you are required to:

  • complete an online form.

How do I know if my request for FEE-HELP has been successful?

If your request for FEE-HELP is successful then our Student Services staff will send you:

  • an invoice showing that your tuition fees have been allocated to FEE-HELP, and the Commonwealth government will pay the cost of your tuition fees to the College on your behalf, and
  • a copy of your Request for FEE-HELP Assistance Form

If there are any issues with your FEE-HELP Loan application our Student Services staff will contact you directly using the contact details you have provided to us. Generally, if your request for FEE-HELP is unsuccessful, it will be because:

  • you have completed your form incorrectly, and need to submit a new form, or
  • you are not eligible under the Commonwealth Government’s FEE-HELP eligibility criteria

How do I know if I’ve reached my FEE-HELP Loan limit?

You are able to monitor your student loans by logging into the Commonwealth Government’s Study Assist website.

In order to log into the MyUniAssist site you will need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN). A CHESSN number is issued if you have received a Commonwealth Government student loan in the past, and can be found on any Commonwealth Assistance Notice you have received previously.

What is a Commonwealth Assistance Notice?

Once the Census Date has passed we will issue you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) which details:

  • your CHESSN number
  • the program you are enrolled in
  • the tuition fees for the program
  • the nature of the Commonwealth Assistance you have received, and
  • the amount of any up-front payments you might have made

Your CAN letter will be issued to you after your program’s Census Date has passed, usually within 28 days.

What is a Census Date?

The Census Date is the last day that a FEE-HELP student may withdraw from the program without financial penalty.

Please note that transferring or deferring students remain linked to the original Census Date and will acquire a Commonwealth debt after that date. If you do not wish to acquire a Commonwealth debt you must withdraw and pay the Early Withdrawal Fee (detailed in the Program Fees) before the original Census Date.

How do I repay my FEE-HELP Loan?

There are a number of options available to repay your FEE-HELP Loan. You can either make voluntary payments or compulsory payments through the tax system.

The Commonwealth Government offers discounts on voluntary payments over $500.

For more information see the Loan Repayments section on the Study Assist website.

Additional Information

For more information on any of these matters, please visit the Study Assist website www.studyassist.gov.au or phone them on 1800 020 108.