Do you need a student visa arranged by The College of Law to do Practical Legal Training?

The College of Law’s Practical Legal Training Program is accredited as a Higher Education course and graduates are entitled to receive the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice.

The College is registered to provide the course to overseas students (CRICOS Provider Code 03155A) studying in Australia on student visas. Overseas students who seek a student visa for the sole purpose of completing the College program can only do the CRICOS approved course, which is on-campus full time.

Overseas students studying within their own countries may undertake any of the online Practical Legal Training streams.

The College of Law is situated in St Leonards, which is 15 minutes from the Sydney CBD. St Leonards is a medium density housing and business area with access to all facilities including shops, restaurants, schools, hospital and railway station. The cost of living in Sydney is probably higher than anywhere else in Australia, but the cost of living in Australia, generally, compares very favourably with most OECD countries. Students should be aware that any accompanying school age dependants enrolled in a government or non-government school in Australia will be required to pay full fees at that institution for the duration of the enrolment.

The College building contains numerous small group classrooms, computer rooms, plus mock courtrooms, a law library and a large lecture theatre. The course fee covers all course related materials, including The College of Law Practice Papers and online access to the College’s student intranet.

Students must be proficient in written and spoken English in order to undertake The College of Law’s Practical Legal Training Program. In cases where the intending student’s undergraduate legal qualification was obtained in a country where English is not the primary language spoken, the College requires that student to supply a certificate demonstrating English proficiency in accordance with the IELTS standard at level 8.0 (writing), 7.5 (speaking) and 7.0 (reading). For more information see

Overseas Student Policies

Overseas students are referred to the College’s refund policy in the Program Manual. It should be noted that the College’s refund policy does not remove the right to take further action under Australia’s consumer protection laws. In the event of default by the College, the Education Services for Overseas Students Act requires that any refund due to the student be paid within two weeks of default.

Overseas students are also referred to the College’s dispute resolution policy in the Program Manual. In cases where the College’s dispute resolution processes are inadequate to resolve the problem, the student may request that the matter be determined by an independent mediator. It should also be noted that the College’s dispute resolution processes do not circumscribe the student’s right to pursue other legal remedies.

The College provides or arranges counselling services where necessary. Overseas students requiring counselling should consult their lecturers in the case of academic problems, or the Student Liaison Officer in respect of any other problems. The Student Liaison Officer can be located on Level Two.

Overseas students should be aware that the information provided by the student to the College may be made available to Commonwealth and State agencies and the Fund Manager of the ESOS Fund pursuant to the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 and the National Code. The College is required to tell the relevant government departments of changes to enrolment or any breach of visa conditions relating to attendance or satisfactory academic performance.


The College of Law does not provide student accommodation. However, for accommodation available locally or within the metropolitan region, click here and follow the local accommodation link under your chosen campus.

Student Services and Student Liaison Officer

The Student Services staff on Level One at St Leonards can help with any problems encountered by overseas students, or may refer problems to the Student Liaison Officer. The Student Liaison Officer may be able to help in circumstances which go beyond just study at the College, such as helping to understand your visa conditions or to deal with government departments.